- Unique world class expertise in solid-state hydrogen storage from fundamental material design to implementation in the field. Hydrogen is a versatile energy carrier that can provide both heat and electricity.
- Commercialisation of solid-state hydrogen solutions:
- Potential to revolutionise the way energy is generated, distributed and used at a small, intermediate and large scale.
- Storage and transport of renewable energy
- Integration to the grid for load levelling or long term electricity storage
- Heat and/or cooling for applications that require both energy storage and heat recovery
Capabilities and facilities
- State of the art research facility for designing and testing solid state hydrogen materials
- Prototype solid-state hydrogen tanks design and optimisation capability
- Integration of solid-state solutions in existing infrastructures
- The most effective energy storage solution enabling both high volumetric and gravimetric energy density (6 times that of Li-ion batteries)
- Long cycle life (> 30,000 cycles of hydrogen uptake and release)
- No memory effect and recoverable stored hydrogen > 90%
- Simple and robust technology enabling increased safety in the use of hydrogen
- Pre-commercialisation cost comparable to existing technologies such as batteries
- Solid-state materials heat and cool upon hydrogen uptake and release. This provides additional energy in the form of heating/cooling owing the unique properties of solid state hydrogen storage materials