World-class testing facilities for outdoor testing of prototype solar collectors and thermal storage devices that run on liquid or gaseous working fluids.
- Improve technologies for solar thermal and thermal energy storage.
- Lead investigator on two ARC projects:- Superhydrophobic/nanotechnology, micro solar collectors - Waste heat recycling for desal in solar thermal power plants
- Chief Investigator on four ARENA funded projects in solar thermal areas:- Aluminium processing with solar energy (current project)- Hydrogen production via solar thermal/pv system (in collaboration with Chemical Engineering)
Capabilities and facilities
- Two outdoor solar laboratories
- An indoor lab for fluids and heat transfer measurements (includes a differential scanning calorimeter, IR cameras, and other thermal characterisation equipment
- Vast Solar (CSP Engineering)
- Apricus (Solar Hot Water)
- GREE (HVAC manufacturer)
- Solar and Thermal Energy Solutions (Consulting)