- Although mullite is recognised as the foremost reinforcement candidate for CMCs and MMCs, it is not currently available commercially.
- Through the University’s globally-patented technology, and in partnership with an Australian company that holds a mining lease covering the world’s largest resource of the raw material, this resource can uniquely be used to fabricate ultra-high-purity mullite fibres.
- Stronger, lighter military armour
- Commercialisation of the technology in collaboration with Vecor Australia Pty Limited and TopTung Limited
- Single-crystal mullite fibre-reinforced aluminosilicates for mechanical, thermal, and chemical applications
- Separable single-crystal mullite fibres for ceramic matrix composites (CMCs) and metal matrix composites (MMCs)
Capabilities and facilities
- Ceramic processing (aligned and separable fibre production)
- Materials characterisation and analysis
- Mechanical testing at both room temperature and high temperatures