Expertise across a range of areas, including:
- Process innovation for manufacture and optimisation of advanced material devices and structures
- Lightweight design of components and structures, including lightweight vehicles
- Prediction/control of friction, wear and lubrication
- Durability and optimisation (fracture, fatigue, wear rate and friction prediction and residual stresses)
- Microstructural design and manufacture of materials with tailored properties and functions, and
- Nano and precision machining and thermal forming
- New materials and manufacturing technologies to solve problems across industries
- Residual stress determination in thin film systems (The Silanna Group, Australia).
- Control of lubrication in cold strip rolling of metals (Baoshan Iron & Steel Co Ltd, China)
- New superabrasives cutting tool technology (Ringwood Superabrasives Australia).
- Surface integrity characterisation of sapphire wafers for wireless and fibre optic semiconductor industry (Peregrine Semiconductor Australia)
- Heat conduction characterisation of buried insulation layers in silicon-on-insulator systems (ARC Linkage Project with Silanna Semiconductor Australia)
- Machining-induced damage mechanisms in KDP crystals (ARC Discovery Project)
- High speed cold rolling of tinplate steel: lubrication performance and its assessment method (Baoshan Iron & Steel Co Ltd, China)
- Automated manufacture of advanced composites (ARC Training Centre)
- Scaling microfluidics for cell manufacture (ARC Linkage Project)
Capabilities and facilities
- The lab has extensive facilities for the design, manufacture, processing and testing of new materials and structures.