- Ammonia is produced using PV electrolysed hydrogen from photovoltaic electrolysis and atmospheric nitrogen. A number of innovations are used to increase efficiency: nitrogen activity is increased by ionising the molecule; nitrogen selectivity over oxygen is achieved using tailored ionic liquids as electrolytes and the nitrogen reaction is catalysed using tailored electrodes.
- In-house expertise exists across all engineering requirements to solve problems and design and test a working prototype
- Cheaper and more energy efficient process for the production of ammonia
- Photovoltaic electrolysis of water to produce renewable hydrogen
- Demonstration of selective transport in ionic liquids
Capabilities and facilities
- Extensive lab facilities for PV electrolysis and characterisation
- Expertise and analysis facilities for studying the application of ionic liquids and the ability to assess the increased nitrogen activity